Sunday, March 23, 2008

Migraines...ugh!

So....the doctor put me on this "wonder" drug for migraines called Topamax. It is supposed to be really good. In fact a very good friend of mine takes it and has had success. I liked the fact that one of the side effects us weight loss. Oh yeah...sounded good...no headaches and I would lose weight...I was so there!

So about 3 days into taking this wonder drug, I started to feel really depressed....I mean really depressed. The angry. After about the second day of yo-yo / bi-polar feelings I was beginning to realize that maybe things weren't all ok with me. The doctor had said that mood swings were a side effect...possibly. Of course, I then read up on it and found that yes, mood swings AND depression are side effects of this medication. Not everyone experiences it, but lucky me...I did. I was really not excited about taking a drug every single day when I didn't have a headache anyway. Oh...did I mention that starting on day 2 of the wonder drug, I got a headache!

Umm...I am now starting on day 1 of getting that drug out of my system.....so if you see me at church on Sunday and I seem snappy...don't take it personally...it's the meds:)

Thanks, doc...I think I will stick with my dear old friend: Imitrex

2 comments:

Candy said...

Imitrex is what always works for my migraines. I only get 1 or 2 BAD ones a year though. I hope you feel better soon, Sharron! I can't stand to take medicine!!

Angela said...

Glad you figured it out before it got any worse.